Thursday, January 2, 2014

Toledo Senora

There is a fabulous website that really gets me itching to draw, and I finally had the time to do it!  It pulls up cool old National Geographic photos.  I sketched this photo of a woman in Toledo in 1924 in about two hours.

Things I like:
- Textural editing - I am trying to learn where to add my own artistic decisions such as the texture I gave the sleeves.
- The facial expression was one of my better attempts.  Still working on that topic!
- The mix of soft and hard edges (like from main dress to the detailing)

Things I need to work on:
- Her face was too round in the end.
- Consistent lines where needed (like in the fan).
- Hands.  Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a thought...do a journal of hands only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughed when I saw it yesterday, even harder when I read your post today.
    http://weknowmemes.com/2013/12/artists-will-understand/

    ReplyDelete