Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 22: Sick Sick Sick

Stairs by melbergink
Stairs, a photo by melbergink on Flickr.

Last night and all of today I was being ravaged by a horrible intestinal bug. Awful! Yet, somehow, 24 hours of explosive diarrhea was more tolerable to two hours on a boat.

When a volunteer is sick, they are NOT allowed to work. Anyways, we had an enormous batch of new volunteers, and Julia mentioned that Jatun Sacha was just giving busy work. I stayed in my cocoon of mosquito netting trying to sleep with the exception of getting to the bathroom, which required me to untangle myself from the net, climb down the top bunk, run down the stairs (steep with no guide rail), jog down the path, peel off the layers of clothes and use the toilet while watching the cockroaches.

More than slightly nerve wracking if you feel like you don't have much control of your digestive system!

By the end of the day, I was able to eat some rice and nibble some other goodies. I drank a LOT of water. My friends took great care of me. I also finished "Octavian Nothing" - what a trippy book! I think I drew my journal entry the next day actually (two in one day to catch up), which would be the last full day at the station. I wanted to capture some of the aspects of volunteering that would not translate to camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive