Sunday, August 21, 2011

Before and After Classroom

Before... by melbergink
Before..., a photo by melbergink on Flickr.


And after some tweaking and elbow grease...
After! by melbergink
After!, a photo by melbergink on Flickr.

After! by melbergink
After!, a photo by melbergink on Flickr.
Over the last few weeks I have been planning and working on some improvements to my not so science-y science room.

Curtains: There was horrible glare in the classroom, so we needed to take that edge off. Another fabulous life science teacher and I picked out fabric for some curtains. Sewing them myself was way cheaper than buying them!

Curtain Rods: Now we needed to put UP the curtains. After finding out how ridiculously expensive curtain rods are for large windows, I did some DIY research. In the end, I took conduit piping and basic hardware bracket materials. By gluing cabinet nobs onto the ends of the pipe and spray painting it black, the curtain rod looked just as nice as $40 dollar sets, but with less than half the price.

Silhouettes: The walls were BORING. I wanted to add something clean, modern, and FUN! We are a school! So I thought, silhouettes! Us two life science teachers picked out favorite silhouettes in four categories: Terrestrial large, terrestrial small, aquatic, and microscopic. Using a projector, we traced on the outlines. The next morning we came in and painted everything in.

Now you can definitely recognize that this is a Biology room! All of the materials (fabric, paint, curtain hardware, etc.) ended up costing about $120.

2 comments:

Blog Archive