Friday, June 24, 2011

Galapagos Post Dos

Hey all! This week was a week of hard work volunteering. I have blisters and a sore back for sure. Life at the site is interesting, fun, and challenging. There are so many interesting people to meet, but you spend every minute of every day with them. That's tough for someone like me that likes quiet time. In our little mosquito infested jungle, there is is always music or something loud on, and even though we are in the middle of no where, I am surrounded by people. Yet, I feel very solitary.

What's most shocking to me is that I assumed that other volunteers were coming for the same reasons I was. Silly in retrospect, but why choose to come to the Galapagos if not for the history and biology? Most volunteers are 19 and are much more interested in being away from home to do what they want (drink, party). Many are very nice, but it feels like being at high school. Thank goodness no drinking is allowed on the site! The weekends are another matter for those young volunteers. I'd say, what a difference 10 years makes, but I wasn't interested in those things when I was 19 either. Yes, I think learning is awesome. And yes, it is what I like to do in my free time!

Julia is an excellent balance between both worlds. I envy her ability to partake in the social scene in not a weird way and then be great company with me as I tell her random facts about birds. She has been a wonderful travel companion and friend. We have our grumpy days, but so far we have been able to help each other out of them.

My favorite birds are hands down the mockingbird and the BF booby. They have such personalities and are a delight to watch. The finches are crazy hard to differentiate, but I an starting to notice differences. I can't find a nature guide in town to help ID them. Crazy! I also enjoy the vast quantities of Lava Lizards hanging out.

This next week I am going on a four-day tour to some other islands to hopefully see some new things. It will be with 8 other volunteers and starting Tuesday. That means we'll miss most of next week's work, but this tour seems to be what every volunteer does, the station director even signed us up!

Last week, I swam with sea lions (so swift!) and sharks (terrifying, thenks for making me watch Jaws, Dad!). I have not seen a hammerhead, which is a bummer, but it sounds like they are really hard to find. My favorite snorkeling moment was watching a marine iguana munch on algae underwater. They are oddly graceful there!

Love you all! Pets to the kitties!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie! Very surprising about the ages of the volunteers.
    Enjoy island hopping!
    Love MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace! Sounds a bit like the peace corps. I was totally shocked, too, by the very young ages (our youngest volunteers are 21 and most of the volunteers are 23-24 - so young!) and the amount of partying they enjoy doing. I'm like you - didn't enjoy it when I was 21, don't enjoy it at all now. It can be an isolating feeling, but I'm glad you've got the buggies and critters to entertain you. Can't wait to see some pictures and drawings from this adventure! I'm in Reno now and will be going to Flagstaff for a visit next week...we got to figure out a time to meet! This turned more into an email than a comment...sorry...can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iguana Under water!! I hope the younger volunteer/party mindset doesn't detract too much. Have a fabulous 4 day tour!

    ReplyDelete