Friday, June 17, 2011

Galapagos ahoy!

So, I am in the Galapagos finally! Julia and I perused Quito, but I am glad to be out of the big city. I get nervous and always feel like I am watching my back! It was pretty nice there, and our hostel room had a lot of random doors. One was converted into shelves.

Now in the Galapagos, the Jatun Sacha site, pronounced Hah toon Saw cha, is in a very jungly place. Clothes never dry there, so we need to take them to town on the weekend to get laundered. We work during the week cutting back invasive mora, blackberry bushes, and other misc activities. Insects are EVERYWHERE. It's a bit of a hopeless battle actually. No matter how much you cover and spray, you get bit. Oh well, it's stylin' out here. The evenings involve hanging out with the volunteers. There are about 24 of us right now, and it is a mixed bag of characters. Last night we played movie charades for hours, but since we are from so many different places, US, Germany, UK, etc, it's hard to find a movie we've all seen. I thought everyone had seen Die Hard! Apparently not!

The weekends we head to the Puerto to do laundry and chill. No one stays at the station to be eaten alive, and the shore does not have the vile insects. We just arrived after visiting Puerto Chino, a beautiful beach where I saw my first Blue Footed Booby. Oddly enough, most of the volunteers are not obsessed with organisms like I am, so it was unusual for them to hear someone scream with delight "BOOBY!!!" I saw it catch fish and everything! My favorite animal so far though is the endemic Chatham Mockingbird. I thought he was going to be super secretive, but he hangs out with us at the station and is just as entertaining as a mockingbird should be. Except a tiny bit smaller, which makes him that much more adorable. I call him Checkers.

Next weekend, we have the option to go on a four day tour to the islands, and volunteers get a serious discount. Sweet. Locals like the Jatun Sacha volunteers. By going on this tour I hope to check out the other islands too! I'll update the next time I can! Buenas tardes a todos!

2 comments:

  1. Buenos dias!
    I looked up the birds-Spectacular! Fancy feet with no nail polish, and the mockingbird is only in that area! So cool. Bugs-eh, not so much. Happy touring!

    ReplyDelete