Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween has passed...

So sad! Alas, the spirit of the strange and weird will be strong in me even if October has passed. This year's spirit was recharged by Edgar Allan Poe. I have not read his stories in probably a decade, but the students were reading his stuff in Lit/Comp. Thankfully, I have a ridiculous collection of books that sit and wait for such inspirational moments, and I pulled out my ancient collection of Poe stories. I read the "Red Masque of Death" for the first time. Fabulous!

Now I am sick, which provides for late-night NyQuil-induced delusional drawing time. So I gave my opportunity to say thanks to Poe by drawing him. I think it was a decent effort for two hours, but there are edits I would make in retrospect. I don't draw real people's faces in general because it scares me. I think I should take on the challenge more to get better at the subtleties of the human face. (Pencil only. Here's a link to the reference photo.)

4 comments:

  1. decent effort?! mel, it looks amazing. you've done mr. poe right well. i thought it was an image copied from the internet at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creeps me out the way he keeps staring at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, your drawing skills are pretty wonderful, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gives me a gift idea for C for Christmas! Great drawing!

    ReplyDelete